Sunday, October 23, 2005

Post-Passion

So first of all, watch this.

A couple summers ago, when there wasn't much work floating across the desk at WILL Interactive, Grady Weatherford (of Rorschach fame) decided that the best use of our time would be self-education through music video composition. We took whatever footage we had on our machines and spun them together using whatever music we could find. Our clients that year ranged from the Pentagon to McGraw Hill publishing. So the available footage featured a lot of terrorist threat cells mixed with college students and military folk. We also had an abundance of stock footage from the Air Force -- everything from missile strikes to the broccoli they serve in the mess hall. Grady's video featured terrorists scheming to "Drench" by Gomez. And my video was a fake movie preview threaded together from an anti-terrorism training film and a sociology textbook film. Because we use the same actors over and over again, many of them became unwitting double-agents in the "story" and the result was pretty operatic trailer for a thriller flick called "The Gaysian Conspiracy."

Anyway. Most of you out there already know that story and have seen the videos I'm talking about. But that link for "Shining!" takes the cake. Hilarious. The funniest thing I've seen since Judith Miller tried to explain her behavior by citing notes for "Valerie Flame," not "Valerie Plame."

Yeah.

Imagine if the Senate Watergate investigation stopped because their notes revealed criminal behavior by one "Richard Mixon." I guess that would have exonnerated the guy, right? What the hell do they expect us to believe next? There was a time when I thought our new national myth was being written by Roald Dahl. Then I thought Brothers Grimm. Now, it appears to be Lewis Carrol. Would it make any difference if Bush got up and said:
Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
I wouldn't be surprised. At least that sampling rhymes.

More coming soon on the end of Passion Play and the next incarnation of Columbinus at the New York Theatre Workshop. In the meantime, I have a few questions for everyone out there:
  1. How do you delete unwanted comments? The word-identification gadget is supposed to prevent "robots" and spammers from crowding the view, but how do I get rid of the ones that are already there? I'm sure the Help section could tell me, but screw that.
  2. If The Shining can be re-mixed into a plausible feel-good movie of the summer, what other movies could be likewise re-mixed beyond recognition?
  3. Shouldn't there be an Oscar category for Best Trailer?

8 comments:

hpmelon said...

1) You should be able to go directly to your comments (when you are logged in as yourself) and there is a mini trash can next to each comment, at the bottom. Give it a click and it will walk you through.

2)The link would not work for me but I am assuming that it is The Shining done by bunnies. If I am wrong then let me know and I will get you that link - because it is priceless.
2a)Hmmm...Braveheart?

3)Ha!

-H

arcticactor said...

Thanks for the comment-cleaning tip.

The "Shining" clip is actually a cleverly re-edited movie trailer, pitching the same movie as a jolly romantic comedy. It's pretty convincing. Where's the link for the bunny version you mentioned? I'd like to see that, too ...

-->arcticactor

hpmelon said...

Bunnies do The Shining.

http://www.angryalien.com/0504/shiningbunnies.html

Anonymous said...

Columbinus? Congratulations... n'est pas? I hope it is the role, and not the blonde, that has begun to suit you.
-nic

Anonymous said...

Hmm. (Insert witty banter.)

I'm really only interested in whether or not this will find its way to you.

One of my bands is coming to Baltimore in January for a week. So when will I see you?

Justin Rimbo. (@hotmail.com)

arcticactor said...

Holy crap ... Justin Rimbo. Where the ... what the ... who the ... goodness. Is that e-mail address all one word? Crap. I need to think of some validating in-joke we had to authenticate my identity. Um. Go Wittenberg! No, that doesn't sound like me, does it? DUDE! Where ya been?! Keep reading ... I'll be in touch.

-->K

Anonymous said...

Yeah. One word. No parentheses. Email me! And that's addressed to everyone who reads this. Email me! Send me offers for perscirption meds@@!!!!@ Mak e my P3N!s bigger!

Anonymous said...

Karl - is that you? This is Lindsey McCune from high school. I found your blog on the class web site. How are you??